Sunday, January 3, 2010

“Bombard God. Bombard heaven until the answers come." - Martyn Lloyd-Jones

“Bombard God. Bombard heaven until the answers come.
We have the authority of our Lord for this, have we not? In Genesis 32 we read that Jacob did something like that: ‘I will not let Thee go,’ he said.

The man wrestled with him & said, ‘It is the dawn, it is the breaking of day, let me go.’
‘But I will not let Thee go, said Jacob. ‘I’m not letting go until you give me my request’ – wrestling Jacob…
And our Lord has taught us to pray like this. It is one of the most glorious, & wonderful statements even he ever made about God & God’s relationship with us. He said, ‘you know, you must not just pray fitfully, you must become importunate. You must be like that man who suddenly is visited by a friend late at night. He has no food to give him, so he says, ‘oh, my friend up the street will have some loaves.’ So he goes and hammers at the door.
But the friend shouts and says, ‘I cannot come down, I am in bed and my children are with me.’
‘No,’ says the man, ‘you must give me something, I know you have got bread & I’ve got a stranger here, I can’t let him go without a meal.’ He goes on hammering.
‘I can’t,’ says the man, ‘I’m in bed.’
But the suppliant goes on and on, until at last the man gets up and gives him the bread.
The man in the bed, in our Lord’s illustration, is none other than God Himself. Because of his neighbor’s importunity he arose and gave him the bread. And if we, who are earthly, sinful, evil fathers, know how to give good gifts to our children, how much more shall our Father which is in heaven give the Holy Spirit to them that ask Him? (Luke 11:5-13). He will not mock us.
But, like a father, He seems to keep us waiting. He seems to say ‘no’ at first, that we may go on asking, and we must become importunate.”

Martyn Lloyd-Jones, Revival

No comments:

Post a Comment