Friday, August 13, 2010

Pleading the Atonement - Isaac Watts

Behold our shield, O God; look on the face of your anointed!” Psalm 84:9

“Father, God, who seest in me
Only sin and misery,
Turn to Thy anointed One,
Look on Thy beloved Son;
Him, and then the sinner see;
Look through Jesus’ wounds on me.

Heavenly Father, Lord of all,
Hear, and show thou hear'st my call!
Bow Thine ear, in mercy bow,
Smile on me a sinner now!
Now the stone to flesh convert,
Cast a look, and melt my heart.

Lord, I cannot let Thee go,
Till a blessing Thou bestow;
Hear my Advocate divine,
Lo! to His, my suit I join;
Join'd with His, it cannot fail:
Let me now with Thee prevail!

Turn, from me, Thy glorious eyes
To His bloody sacrifice,—
To the full atonement made,
To the utmost ransom paid:
And, if mine, through Him, Thou art,
Speak Thy mercy to my heart.


Jesus, answer from above,
Is not all Thy nature love!
Pity from Thine eye let fall;
Bless me whilst on Thee I call:
Am I thine, thou Son of God?
Take the purchase of Thy blood.


Father, see the victim slain,
Offer'd up for guilty men:
Hear his blood-prevailing cry;
Let Thy bowels then reply!
Then through Him the sinner see;
Then, in Jesus, look on me!”


- Isaac Watts

No comments:

Post a Comment