Saturday, October 2, 2010

A little book of three pages - William Mason

“I have read of a godly man who was once very dissolute. When converted, his former companions sought to bring him back to his former wicked courses. But he told them, "I am deeply engaged in meditating on a little book, which contains only three leaves; so at present I have no leisure for other business." Sometime after, being asked again, if he had done with his book, he said, "No; for though it contains only three leaves, yet there is so much comprised in them, that I have devoted myself to read therein all the days of my life.
The first leaf is
red. Here I mediate on the passion of my Savior, His shedding His precious blood as an atonement for my sins, and a ransom for my soul, without which I must have been a damned sinner in hell to all eternity.
The second leaf is
white. This cheers my spirit with the comfortable consideration of the unspeakable joys of heaven, obtained for me by Christ, and of being forever with Him.
The third leaf is black. Here I think of the horrible state of the damned, and the perpetual torments they are suffering in hell. O this excites thankfulness to my Savior, for His wonderful love and rich grace, in snatching me as a brand out of the fire, and saving me from eternal destruction!"
Here is a good man, a good book, and a good example for you and me. "Let us go and do likewise." Constantly meditate upon Christ; upon the wrath He has saved us from, and the glory He has saved us to.”

- William Mason, The believer's pocket companion or the one thing needful to make poor sinners rich and miserable sinners happy

No comments:

Post a Comment