Saturday, May 1, 2010

Illustrations from a sermon by Charles Haddon Spurgeon, part I

“…A pastor in Edinburgh, in going round his district, knocked at the door of a poor woman, for whom he had brought some needed help; but he received no answer. When next he met her, he said to her, “I called on Tuesday at your house.” She asked, “At what time?” “About eleven o’clock; I knocked, and you did not answer. I was disappointed, for I called to give you help.” “Ah, sir!” said she, “I am very sorry. I thought it was the man coming for the rent, and I could not pay it, and therefore I did not dare to go to the door.” Many a troubled soul thinks that Jesus is one who comes to ask of us what we cannot give; but indeed he comes to give us all things. His errand is not to condemn, but to forgive. Miss not the charity of God through unbelief. Run to the door, and say to your loving Redeemer, “Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof; but as thou hast come to me, I welcome thee with all my heart...

…John B. Gough tells a story of how he was fetched from a railway-station to speak one night, and the cab that was sent for him had a broken window. He noticed that the man who came in the cab put a handkerchief over his head as he sat close up against the hole in the window, and then he observed that he put his head against the window. Mr. Gough said, “Have you a cold in your head?” “No,” he said, “but there is a nasty hole in this pane of glass, and I am afraid that you may take cold. I am sticking my head into the hole to shield you, for you taught me to be a man and a Christian.” Such gratitude as that was most touching; and if we can bring any to Christ, I am sure they will be very grateful to us. If we can lead them to Jesus, they will feel as if they could not do too much for us; therefore out of love to them, having so many who are now our dear children in Christ, we would plead with them, and say, “Give us a good answer, and say ‘Yes’ to the overture of our Master’s Son.”

- Charles Haddon Spurgeon, "Lo, I Come": Application

http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/2203.htm
- Charles Haddon Spurgeon, An urgent request for an immediate answer

http://www.spurgeongems.org/vols37-39/chs2231.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment