Tuesday, December 8, 2009

'It is not we, but Jesus Christ who saves' - Martyn Lloyd-Jones

The cross tells me that I am a complete failure, & that I am such a failure that He had to come from heaven, not merely to teach & preach in this world, but to die on that cross. Nothing else could save us. I could not keep His teaching. How could I obey the teaching of the Lord Jesus Christ in the Sermon on the Mount, I who cannot live up to my own code, who cannot please other people? It is impossible…He came to save souls, the Saviour of the world, ‘the Lamb of God which taketh away the sin of the world.’ ‘For there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved’ (Acts 4:12). Here is the only one who can encompass the whole world, and all in utter helplessness can look to Him. And this is what is so wonderful about it - it is He who saves. It is not we, but He who saves. It is not even our believing in Him that saves us, it is He who saves us. It is His doing to that cross, & submitting Himself as the Lamb of God, & having our sins put upon Him by His Father, & bearing the stroke, the punishment, for us, that is what saves us. He does it all.”

-Martyn Lloyd-Jones

The Cross: God's Way of Salvation By Martyn Lloyd-Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment